Monday, September 20, 2010

I LOVE VORTEXES!

First things first, I would like to briefly introduce our new blogger: QuoteGirl. She frequented our previous blog with fantastic comments and we are happy to have her be a part of this project.

Now, let’s get down to business.

It is really challenging writing about the pilot of a show. It is even more challenging to write about a show that has been compared to other shows without automatically looking for the likenesses.

When they said “The Event” would appeal to “LOST” fans, they weren’t lying. I had to force myself not to compare it to “LOST”. I mean, you’ve got the plane, which involves people disappearing to Location X, and then, these flashbacks and lots and lots of mystery and number references and pretty people etc. See, I’m already doing it. Sigh. I am going to try and focus on the show itself and stop making it live in the shadow of my lost (ha!) love.

It’s nice to see Jason Ritter again. I used to be a huge "Joan of Arcadia" fan and thought he had more potential than his projects post its cancellation showed. Overall, the whole cast seems very promising. Nice mix of new faces and old-ish faces. I think the idea of a black president is a bit absurd, but you never know.


The time-frame captions started getting really confusing for me, personally. I started to just ignore them and piece it together myself. I am hoping that is not how the whole series is going to go, and that it’s just a Pilot thing. Every now and then is fine, but I was getting dizzy.

I got a little nauseous at the end, with the camera shaking so much, haha. Clearly, “Cloverfield” was a rough experience for me. I did not expect the plane to vanish into a vortex, which doing the unexpected makes for quality entertainment.

I know it won’t wind up applying to the entire show, but this Pilot was vaguely reminiscent of the film “The Net”, starring America’s Sweetheart Sandra Bullock. It won’t pan out the same, but the whole Sean-Walker-Ceasing-To-Exist thing brought it to mind. I honestly only ever watched the first episode of “24”, so I can’t really compare it to “24”, other than the time-frame captions. I tried to watch “V”, but…eh. I think I can see where the comparison comes in, but I think it is being executed in a more satisfactory way in “The Event”; if that’s even the case at all.

I am kind of hoping this turns out to be a really awesome alien show. It SEEMS like that could be the case, but the wonderful thing is that already nothing is what it seems AND WE ARE ONLY ONE EPISODE IN. I, personally, am very intrigued and cannot wait to watch the next episode.

Needless to say, I thought this was a pretty solid Pilot. The big question for this week, and perhaps for many weeks to come, is: Who are THEY? And, how did Sean Walker manage to get a gun on the plane?

Grade: A-

The Pearl

No comments:

Post a Comment